I would like to compile a list of ingredients and recipes and clear liquid foods that are recommended for folks who are preparing for a colonoscopy. I would like the list of be clear and unambiguous and approved by the doctors. One of the goals is to clarify and provide specific examples from the current recommendations. For example no orange liquids. What would some of these be?
Is this okay, Carrot and Ginger Soup? https://www.garyjohnsoninfo.info/Recipes.htm#_Toc435189598 This is an orange liquid. Should all carrots and other orange vegetables, cooked or not be eliminated? The yolk of an egg is a shade of orange. Why is that allowed?
Can you cook with milk for mac and cheese? See recipe 6 below.
Can you cook with garlic, pepper and salt?
What seasonings are prohibited?
Please provide more information on what you mean by smooth sauces and dressings?
https://dressings-sauces.org/dictionary-dressings-sauces/ From this list I would say Mayonnaise, Hollandaise, and Caesar look okay, Please advise? Buttermilk?
Are there any types of Yogurt that are not permitted? Like strawberry flavored?
Would a Frittata with already cooked with vegetables be okay? What types of omelets are okay?
What types of cheesees are okay? Colby is an orangey cheese. Is it okay to eat orangey cheeses?
Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts are hard for some people to digest. Are there vegetables that could / should be avoided?
Sliced Turkey Breast is not on the list. See item 2. Is sliced Turkey Breast okay?
Some Doctors are allowing folks to drink Clear Peach Ensure as a clear liquid.
Is drinking clear Peach Ensure Okay?
Are there any clear protein powders or anything else that might have some protein and more carbs than clear broth?
Are there any particularly tasty brands of consumme or low sodium vegetable or chicken broth? (Some taste terrible on their own.)
Start this diet 5 days before procedure
No: aspirin or blood thinners. vitamins, iron pills, liquid antacids, popcorn, seeds, nuts, salad, corn, beans, peas, whole grain or whole wheat bread, raw fruits or vegetables. No milk, cream, alcohol (including any wine), juice with pulp, or red/purple/orange liquids.
Foods you may eat include:
• White rice
• Well-cooked or canned vegetables
• Chicken, fish, beef, pork, tofu, eggs
• Margarine, butter, oil, smooth sauces and dressings
• Yogurt and cheese
Are these also recommendations? Chew your food thoroughly? Eat smaller more frequent meals? Drink Water with your meal?
Recipe and menu suggestions
1) Eggs (Scrambled, Over Easy, Soft and Hard Boiled, Sunny Side Up, poached etc.) with white toast
2) Turkey Sandwiches with mayonnaise, salt and pepper on white toast
3) Lemon Butter Chicken https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/88108/amazing-italian-lemon-butter-chicken/
Omit the bacon, mushrooms, capers artichoke hearts, parsley, white wine
4) Spaghetti with garlic and oil https://thestayathomechef.com/olive-oil-pasta/
omit red pepper flakes and parsley
add grated Parmesan cheese?
5) Cold Macaroni Salad https://www.garyjohnsoninfo.info/Recipes.htm#_Toc435189611
Omit red pepper, scallions and paprika
6) Mac and Cheese https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/238691/simple-macaroni-and-cheese/
7) Baked Pork Tenderloin, with Rosemary https://www.garyjohnsoninfo.info/Recipes.htm#_Toc435189524
8) Boiled lobster
9) Grilled Cheese Sandwich, are there types of chesses recommended?
10) Chicken and Rice Soup https://www.garyjohnsoninfo.info/Recipes.htm#_Toc435189601
11) Broiled Fish, what sauce or spices are allowed?
Another List of Low Fiber Foods with an explicit list of things to avoid. Please see outstanding questions above. I need confirmation that skipping things like strawberry yoghurt and carrots is a good idea.
One Day before
Follow a clear liquid diet
- Clear fluids: water, tea, coffee, clear juices, clear broths, Popsicles, and gelatin (such as Jell-O).
- Do not drink milk or juice with pulp, such as orange juice. These are not clear fluids.
- Do not drink anything red or purple, such as grape juice or fruit punch.
- Do not eat red or purple foods, such as grape Popsicles or cherry Jell-O.
- Drink plenty of clear fluids to stay hydrated.
A more explicit definition of a clear liquid from the above the Oregon Clinic link above.
- A clear liquid for this purpose is defined as any liquid you can read newsprint through
that is not foggy or cloudy and is not dark in color.
- ACCEPTABLE LIQUIDS: Apple juice, white grape juice, white cranberry juice, strained
lemonade or limeade, tea, BLACK coffee (no milk, cream or nondairy creamer), water,
carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks, Kool-Aid, and Gatorade. Italian ices, icepopsicles, Jell-O without whipped topping or fruit, and hard candy. Clear broth or bouillon soups.
(Gary’s note: It would be great if I could drink something with protein in it, like Clear Ensure- this must be peach flavored, you are not permitted to drinkblueberry pomegranate flavor. Help?)
From the Doctor
I have had polyps. See https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/colon-pathology/colon-polyps-sessile-or-traditional-serrated-adenomas.html