First, we updated the application to better support accessibility. https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/
Upgrading the stack from
Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.54
Codeigniter CI_VERSION’, ‘2.1.2’
jQuery 1.8 + UI + Datatables + tinymce
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.38-MariaDB,
Codeigniter CI_VERSION = ‘3.1.10’;
jQuery 3.4.0 +UI + Datatables + ?
With name-based virtual hosting
With name-based virtual hosting, the server relies on the client to report the hostname as part of the HTTP headers. Using this technique, many different hosts can share the same IP address.
Name-based virtual hosting is usually simpler, since you need only configure your DNS server to map each hostname to the correct IP address and then configure the Apache HTTP Server to recognize the different hostnames. Name-based virtual hosting also eases the demand for scarce IP addresses. Therefore you should use name-based virtual hosting unless there is a specific reason to choose IP-based virtual hosting. Some reasons why you might consider using IP-based virtual hosting:
Next thing to do is enable SSL for a ‘LOT’ of clients.
Things I scream about.
1) I was unable to upgrade the existing Ubuntu 12 stack.
2) Under 12, I got rewrites of form urls. Not so in the new stack. Took me a while to figure that one out.
3) Our Hosting vendor does not automatically install phpMyAdmin or a server management tool like Control Panel or Webmin
4) The CI based applications I inherited does some really funky stuff to serve css, js, and image files from a non accessible location
5) .htaccess and Apache
6) There are a lot of bots scanning sites looking for vulnerabilities.
Q. What is the most used language in programming? A. Profanity