“I not only use all of the brains I have, but all I can borrow.” -Woodrow Wilson
This document has three sections, 1) General Questions, 2) Project Management and 3) the Software – Hardware – Vendor Inventory.
Some questions may not be applicable. Answer the ones that are. Choose a Project management approach. We can fill out as much of the inventory as is applicable.
Do you have system and accounting controls, policies and procedures in place?
Do you have a flowchart or description of all the actions, activities and responsibilities?
Do you have test and “live” systems to use for implementing this new functionality or test your bug fixes?
Do you have any existing licenses agreement that would require the purchase of additional licenses in setting up a test system?
Do you process credit card payments (PCI DSS)?
Do you have secure procedures for managing keys and other credentials? (key management)
The question for you is, after you do this: “How do you know you got it right?”
Do you require Non-Compete or Non-Disclosure Agreement(s)?
I can use the FastTrack, formal or the iterative project management approach. The formal approach is more suited for projects involving over 5 people with different roles and responsibilities. The formal approach is used when the client has issued a detailed Request for Proposal. The iterative approach is suited for most projects where you’re building something smaller than Amazon but bigger than “My Home Page”. The Fastrack approach is for bug fixes and small extensions and includes the appropriate pieces from the iterative approach.
You provide access information: URLs (Links) and passwords to your site.
Milestones: Feasibility and status report: $25, Coding phase 1, 2, 3 etc.
Streamlined project management:
1) Define and elaborate your objectives.
2) Outline your approach(es).
3) Research and evaluate the approaches.
4) Document the current Software/Hardware/Vendor Inventory and Information Flow.
5) Define the terms of the contract and deliverables.
6) Define the deliverables.
7) Establish testing criteria for project completion and acceptance.
Negotiations, Planning, Content, Design, Development, Testing, Final Review, Launch, Maintenance
Example Project Activities
- Preparation and Planning
- Appraisal of existing web site, IT systems
- Confirmation of corporate and marketing objectives
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Pilot Selection
- Initial timetable
- First draft web marketing plan
- Content development
- Overall look ‘n feel
- Standards and templates
- Information Architecture
- Navigation Paths
- Linking strategies
- Page mark up
- Response forms / scripts
- Other special content
- Server/ provider selection
- Mirror sites – if applicable
- Server software
- Domain registration
- Applications development
- Transaction and payment systems development e.g. catalogues, shopping baskets
- Supported browsers
- Development systems
- Management processes
- Technical standards
- Testing and Going Live
- Page quality check, validation
- Link testing
- Coherence consistency checking
- Security testing – password access etc.
- Transaction testing
- Complete testing off-line
- User testing
- Site uploading
- Marketing model – ads, referrals etc.
- The 7Ps – how are these addressed?
- Link negotiation
- Marketing ‘hooks’ in each relevant page
- Response mechanisms
- Entries in search engines
- Off-line promotion
- Research and feedback
- Data Collection (e.g. web stats) and Analysis
- Revised marketing plan
- Webmaster activities
- Content feedback
- Content updating program
- Commissioning new content
- Supporting new facilities e.g. video plug-ins
- Link maintenance
- Update release planning
- Management Processes
- Overall project management – progress vs. plan
- User liaison
- Legal and contractual (e.g. copyright, data security, etc.)
- Release / change control
- Performance measurement system
- Ongoing roles and responsibilities
- Process Descriptions
- Extracting Lessons
- Periodic strategic audits and reviews.
Software – Hardware – Vendor Inventory
(paypal, credit card) etc
Credit Card Processors
|IBM Tivoli Netezza|
|Plug-ins and libraries required|
|Shared or dedicated servers|
|IP (see SSL for static )|
|FTP (SFTP WinSCP)|
|Private secure network|
|Directory structure to your files|
|Python / django|
|Phpmyadmin Remote access|
|weblogic, jboss, websphere|
|Other identifying Certificates
|Shopping Cart and Credit Card Info|
|Access Control Management Login / registration etc|
|PCI DSS info|